Biometrics Update: Biometrics Can Now Be Provided from Within Canada

On December 3, 2019, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced that foreign nationals applying from within Canada for temporary or permanent residence, or to extend or renew their visitor visa or work or study permit, are now required to provide biometrics


Foreign nationals who are in Canada should submit their application online or by paper as required. IRCC will then send out a biometrics instruction letter. Once this letter has been received, applicants must book an appointment online with Service Canada to provide their biometrics. 

To book an appointment with the Service Canada office located nearest you, please visit:

Biometrics Collection Exemptions

The existing biometrics collection exemptions will remain in place. The following persons remain exempt from providing their biometrics: 

  • Applicants under the age of 14 or over the age of 79
  • Nationals of the United States who apply for a work or study permit, or who make a request for a temporary resident permit;
  • Foreign nationals seeking to enter or remain in Canada as a visitor and who are exempt from the requirement of a visa (i.e. eTA visitors);
  • A holder of a valid United States entry visa who is destined to or returning from that country, who is seeking to enter Canada for a period of less than 48 hours and who is travelling by transporter’s vehicle to a destination other than Canada, or is transiting through or stopping over in Canada for refuelling or for the continuation of their journey in another transporter’s vehicle (existing exemption under the TRBP);
  • A person who makes an application for a study permit or a work permit and is a person in Canada who has made a claim for refugee protection that has not yet been determined by the refugee protection division, a person in Canada on whom refugee protection has been conferred, or a person who is a member of the convention refugees abroad class or a member of a humanitarian-protected persons abroad class (existing exemption under the TRBP);
  • Persons who are a head of state or government applying for or requesting a temporary resident visa, status or permit; and
  • Persons who are seeking to enter Canada in the course of official duties as a properly accredited diplomat, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies or of any intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member, or is a family member of one of them (existing exemption under the TRBP).


The biometrics fee of $85, to a maximum of $170 per family that applies together, remains the same for in-Canada applicants.  The fee exemptions for biometrics collection also remain the same and are as follows:

  • a transit traveller who receives a temporary resident permit in Canada due to circumstances deemed to be beyond their control, at the discretion of an officer;
  • a person who is a member of the protected temporary residents class and their family members who are included in the application;
  • a permanent resident who is 14 years of age or older when applying for a new permanent resident card, and who was exempt from the biometrics collection requirement at the time they applied for permanent residence because they were under the age of 14;
  • a person applying for or requesting a temporary resident visa, status or permit who previously (i.e. within the last 10 years) received a temporary partial exemption due to impossible or not feasible circumstances;
  • a person who made a claim for refugee protection outside Canada and their family members;
  • a protected person in Canada, when they make an application for permanent residence; and
  • a person who made a claim for refugee protection in Canada.

More information on the IRCC Biometric Requirements can be found here:

The lawyers of Capelle Kane are well versed in the latest changes to the Canadian immigration programs. Please contact us for a consultation if you wish to discuss your eligibility or to obtain more information about moving to Canada.