Open Work Permits for Spouse or Common-Law Partner In-Canada Class

In response to the increasingly long processing times for first stage approval for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, Citizenship & Immigration (“CIC”) has initiated a one-year pilot project issuing open work permits before an approval in principle decision is made. “Approval in principle,” is a first stage approval of the sponsoring (Canadian/permanent resident) spouse.

In order to be eligible to apply, you must:

  • Have applied for permanent residence under the “Spouses or Common-Law Partners In-Canada” stream. Eligibility does not apply to spouses who have applied under the “Outside of Canada” stream;
  • Have valid temporary resident status in Canada as a visitor, student or worker; and
  • Reside at the same address at the Canadian/Permanent Resident Sponsor;

An additional fee of $100 is levied on open work permit applicants. This fee will be collected at the same time as, and in addition to, the work permit processing fee (currently $155).

The lawyers of Capelle Kane attentively follow the changes on Sponsorship Applications to provide our clients with the most up-to-date information available.